Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fourth of July Fun - weekend update!

We had a great weekend... starting July 3rd we headed downtown to the river front to watch the fireworks with about the entire city! We had great seats thanks to our neighbors who headed down really early and saved us some. I packed up some great subs, chips and dip, snacks, and light up necklaces. I also decorated the kids faces and they wore cute "holiday" outfits (aka red, white and blue things!). The fireworks this year were great! The city really goes all out! Friday we woke up really early and packed up to head to the lake to camp with Paul's family! It is always fun to be at the lake, fishing, swimming, camp fire, outdoor cooking, 4wheeler rides, the kids just getting to run around, good drinks- camping , but with bathrooms/showers and real beds-- that is my kind of camping!

Here is Mason on "his" chair by the fire ring, just before dinner time!

Paul and Mason sitting by the fire.

These are my SIL Tracy's nephews with Mason. They were having fun making a "fort" out of the firewood! Mason looks so tiny next to them!

We stayed Friday night and hung out Saturday; Mason and Paul went fishing and I took Lauren to the lake to swim, twice! We stuck around for the fireworks and then headed home late!

Sunday we slept in (and skipped church services, which I do not like to do, but it was a must)! Paul headed to the farm to cut the grass, and we headed out in search of play sand! Sunday was hot, hot, hot and humid! We headed to my lovely neighbors house to do some swim time! It was great, she told me that morning to com eover, they would be gone but to come and enjoy it! So we did- how could myself and my fishes pass that up! It is so wonderful there, peaceful, and nice to just let the kids swim and play-- it really makes me want to put a pool in! Except there is all that upkeep! Maybe someday! The swimming must have totally wiped Mason out because this was him at dinner-

Note he barely took any bites from his hamburger! This was at 7pm mind you...

and he slept till 8am on Monday morning!

Paul and I both took Monday off to spend just one more day at home... we had big plans of doing some landscaping; but the heat and humidity convinced us otherwise! lol! Paul did some work on the deck while I worked on my bible study in the shade and the kids played on the swingset and ran thru the sprinkler to wash the sand off! Paul requested that we grill out, so I broke out my Rachel Ray magazine and found this great (and easy) recipe which we tried... so here is the before grilling! It is pounded sirlon steak with provolone cheese in side and asparagus; I drizzled basil and herb olive oil on the asparagus before wrapping and then also rolled the meat wraps in it before hitting the grill. SO easy and SO delicious! I will be making this again, and also trying it with pork loin and chicekn breast and changing up the veggies and the cheese selections!

The kids LOVED this meal. I made smashed red potatoes with it and a mushroom/garlic sacue to go with. Everyone cleaned their plates and then we had rasberry chocolate mousse for dessert!

1 comment:

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

YUMMO!!! That looks good!! Poor Mason falling asleep at the table. Glad you had a safe and fun holiday!