Monday, January 21, 2008

A little vent...

I must vent for a moment, now that I have a free moment.

My SUV will be 2 yrs old in May, and I have 22,000 miles on it now... this is not the vent... here it comes... I need new tires already! WTH? A few oil changes ago they mentioned it... and a few weeks ago, I got stuck in a drift in the driveway (yes the driveway, it was deep) and DH was cursing the tires at the moment! So I thought today with a few moments free to call around... not only do I need new tires... they cost a pretty penny... the range is anywhere from $540 to $687-- holy moly! Why so pricey? As it turns out the "luxury" model that I have a bigger and wider tire (this happened to me two vehicles ago with my Pontiac, it had special low profile tires). And they have to order them in... so I bit the bullet and had them ordered. I did talk to the dealership today for a quote ($687, can you believe that, they don't even stock them)-- but after discussing with DH he said I need to call them and find out why the tires I have were only able to get 20,000 miles-- they should have been 50.000 miles... is there something that is causing it-- as I do get my tires rotated every other oil change! And I take good care of them.

Needless to say next week I will have new tires on... and possibly will get some resolution from dealership.

OH and I am totally jealous-- my mom is in the market for a new vehicle and she is looking at the new Enclave! LOVE THEM! They came out after I bought my vehicle-- but I seriously would love to trade my in on one, or an Acadia! Both sharpe! Maybe next year... although DH is getting a new truck this fall so my guess is probably one more year before a new vehicle for me... that and my SUV will still be under warrantee till 2011-- but I won't have it that long... I shouldn't be counting the days on my SUV I do love it and it has been nothing but great aside from the tires! I just love those new Buicks! Oh well my Mom will get one and I usually drive when we go someplace anyways so I will get to drive it from time to time! That will hold me over... plus they are new models and they always say never buy a new model in the first few years of production!

Ok vent officially over! And pocketbook officially ticked! Gosh I could have spent that $540 a totally more fun way!

3 comments:

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

I would definitely find out why your tires have worn so much. Maybe they put cheap tires on it at the factory.

I do know with my car a softer compound rubber makes my car stick to the road, but they also wear faster.

I had to get tires last year to the tune of $700.00 But that was at 60k miles.

I also looked at the Acadia...NICE!!!

Thanks for the comments too.

Familyof4 said...

actually the replacement tires (same ones were close to $700, so I didn't even include them in my estimates, espeically since I ahven't had good luck with the current ones)... I went with Good year instead!

Those Acadia's are beautiful... if I had waited a year!

Rita said...

Hmmm…Did you buy the SUV new, or used? If it was bought used, that may be an answer as to why you needed to change your tires. Another factor that may have affected your tires is the type of roads you frequent. Naturally, the rougher the road is, the worse the wear and tear on your tires will be. Hopefully the new tires will last much longer than these, so that every penny you spent on them will be worth it.

~ Rita McCall